Sunday, April 19, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy

Things have been a little crazy around here lately. During Spring Break the girls and I partied nearly every day. We went to the movies, shopping, the Arizona Science Center, and the Botanical Gardens. There is a special exhibit at the Botanical Gardens right now so throughout the Gardens are these amazing blown glass sculptures by an artist named Dale Chihuly. They are beautiful and huge and I can't even imagine how they are made. We loved it. Here are some of our favorites.




We had a nice, uneventful Easter. We spent the morning at home and the girls were pleasantly surprised to discover that the Easter Bunny had even remembered to fill a basket for baby sister. After church we had dinner with our friends, the Stephens.



The last couple of weeks some friends and I nearly killed ourselves preparing for our school's annual spring carnival. We don't have a lot of parental support at this school so it was up to only a few of us to pull it off. In past years the carnival has been quite small but we wanted to do something grander this year so it took a lot of planning and work. We had food, game booths, bouncers, a rock wall, raffle baskets, etc. There was also a Kindergarten Science Fair that Jenna participated in and they sang their little science song that night. I think it was quite successful and people really enjoyed themselves. I barely made it out of bed the next day and today my back decided to give out completely but I think it was worth it. Here are some pictures of that night.







Yesterday was Grace's 9th birthday. We had an extended Tolman family party at my Aunt Janet's house and then dinner with Devon's mom, who is in town visiting, and the other Miller/Jones family. Then tonight we had a family party at my parents' house to celebrate. My sister-in-law, Katie, made the most amazing cake for her. Grace wanted a pirate theme because they have been studying pirates in her ELP (Extended Learning Program) classroom this year. So my brother suggested a treasure chest which Katie somehow managed to create. I felt really bad when it was time to cut it and eat it because I'm sure it took forever to make. Thanks Katie--it was awesome!!

The birthday girl

Grace

Jenna with a bag full of loot after the treasure hunt at Aunt Janet's

Me and Grandpa Tolman who will turn 90 this summer

The coolest cake ever!



7 comments:

damonandkami said...

jessica! who did that cake?!! its awesome!!!

Kristina said...

Wow! That doesn't even look like it could be a cake! I would have had a hard time cutting into it too. Sorry to hear about your back - it doesn't take much to cripple you when you're pregnant. Hope it gets better soon!

Lauren said...

That is the coolest cake EVER! Hope you are recovering well from the carnival--you are so talented!

Diana said...

Jessica you are definitely the one to be the planner. I am glad everything turned out great! Of course, your girls are so cute and that WAS the greatest cake ever!

Camden said...

Happy Birthday Grace! Kudos to Katie for the cake--that's fantastic. I'm guessing she doesn't have toddlers running around her kitchen?! It looks awesome.

LafeNLacy said...

It looks like you gals are having lots of fun. I'm glad we were able to see you while we were visiting AZ. Happy birthday, Miss Grace!

Susan Anderson said...

Just hopped over from Jen's blog to visit yours and had to comment on that birthday cake.

Simply the coolest thing ever!