Aside from getting married and giving birth I had the most amazing experience of my life this weekend. I have a friend from high school named Rob Gardner who is a composer. He has written several sacred oratorios, one of which is titled Joseph Smith the Prophet. It is an hour-long program with narrators, orchestra, choir and soloists depicting the life and legacy of Joseph Smith. He was asked to perform this work in the Salt Lake Tabernacle this weekend. I couldn't pass up the chance to sing in the Tabernacle so I made the trip up to Utah.

Friday night about 15 minutes prior to the start of the show President Monson and President Uchtdorf walked in. For those of you who have never been in the same room as the prophet I will tell you that it is a profoundly spiritual experience to witness everyone in the room silently stand and watch as he walks in. Just as he arrived at his seat someone began singing We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet. At the conclusion of the song President Monson waved and thanked us. President Monson just became the prophet a few months ago and while I have believed that he is the prophet I feel I have not had the same conviction with regard to his calling as to President Hinckley's, whom I grew to know and love over so many years. I can say without doubt after feeling what I felt when he entered the room that Thomas S. Monson is the man God has called to lead our church and the world at this time. I know that what he speaks is God's will for us and I am grateful for the blessing of this experience that has solidified my testimony of his calling.
Once we started singing I found myself overcome with emotion several times throughout the performance. It just seemed so surreal to be in the Tabernacle singing The Spirit of God and Praise to the Man with the prophet in the audience! How is it even possible that someone like me (somewhat musical but nothing to write home about) is lucky enough to get to sing in such an historic building for such an audience as this? It was remarkable and something I will always treasure. I am extraordinarily grateful to Heavenly Father for the gift he has given to Rob Gardner and for putting him in my life's path. Rob's music continually strengthens my testimony and comforts me in difficult times and I have seen the workings of the Spirit in other people's lives as well as they participate in and listen to Rob's music. I wish you all could have been there with me!!
Monday, April 28, 2008
My Really Awesome Weekend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I tagged you :) go to my blog and do it!!
I have to agree. Performing in the Tabernacle for President Monson was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.
Tha sounds awesome! What a life experience!
Amazing! That is so neat you were able to have that experience. But I have to correct you- you really are better than you let on in your blog! I love hearing how your testimony of President Monson was strengthened through this experience.
Post a Comment