Thursday, October 2, 2008

Are You Speedy?

79 words

I've fallen off my pace a bit. One summer when I was home for BYU I was a relay operator for the hearing impaired. I sat in a big room full of cubicles at a computer. When a hearing impaired person needed to call a hearing person (and vice versa) they would call me. I would call the person they wished to speak to and then the hearing impaired person typed on their TTY (a little computer hooked to their phone) and I would read what they said to the other person. Then I would have to type in real time what the other person said back. It was really fun but I had to type 80 words per minute (by the end of the summer I was much faster after so much practice) and I also had to read exactly what was typed--I have never said so many bad words in my life! The other great thing about the job was that when I didn't have a call I could do whatever I wanted at my little cubicle. I read tons of books and finished two cross stitches--all while being paid!

Typing Test

3 comments:

Priscilla said...

How cool that you used to be a relay operator! I wonder if it's becoming obsolete now. So many people are using videophones. I guess there's still those diehards that will always use a tty.

Heather said...

Pretty good, Jess--I only got 65/min.

Amy Rapier said...

I am actually debating in my head if I really want to know my words per minute. I am afraid that my competitive side is winning,though, because it knows, for sure, that there is no way that I could beat either you or Heather, and it is telling me that in "not knowing", I can keep my pride... and, so, my pride stays intact. I am in constant awe of your talents!