When Grace was about 2 she had a funny "s" when she spoke. Because I'm a speech therapist I had several people ask me when I was going to fix that problem. I then had to tell them that it was age appropriate for her to have a less than perfect "s" sound.
Since that time there have been several words that my kids have said wrong that I know I could correct but just don't want to because they're so funny. Jenna has had several and many still survive. My favorite at the moment is "samlich" which is Jenna's version of sandwich. This week she came home from school with a paper where she had explained how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She even spelled it "samlich" because she had sounded it out herself. I'm thrilled that we now have a written reminder of her little kid speech. It will be gone all too soon!




2 comments:
I haven't experienced it yet... but it does seem sad when they grow up and lose their sweet baby speech. Although... I do have a brother who still says pretzel like "pritzel." He refuses to change it just to be annoying. Samlich is cute, she could keep that one forever without it becoming annoying.
I'm glad to know you're not one of those anal speech therapists that fix their kids at early ages. I have a friend who did that and I thought it was ridiculous and sad at the same time.
Post a Comment