Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gratitude

I'm not really sure where to start with this post but I feel the need to put something down. Many people have been writing about their blessings on their blogs and Facebook pages. I haven't yet because I knew I had so much to be thankful for that I didn't even know how to begin listing them. Maybe I will have to do a series of posts. We'll see. For now I will mention the things that have been on my mind lately.

I had a long conversation with my parents today. Probably the longest I've had since they left on their mission. Most of it was light-hearted discussion about what's been happening in our lives. But then I started asking for help with the Relief Society lesson I am preparing for next week. As I have been working on this lesson I realized how much I have relied on my parents for spiritual strength, guidance, and insight. Suddenly they are not right around the corner anymore and I can't bounce ideas off them like I used to. (Mostly they were bouncing the ideas and I was just soaking up.) It has always seemed to me that my testimony of the Gospel was something I just had. But that is not the case. It was cultivated from the beginning of my life by my parents. Of course I had to do my part, but without them I would not have my firm and abiding faith. And this didn't quit when I moved out of their house. In fact, the last couple of years I have had the pleasure of attending my mom's adult institute class where I have learned so much. And after every institute class I would come back to my mom's house and spend the afternoon with her and sometimes my dad. Tuesdays were sacred to me and I treasure the time we spent together. And now they continue to add to my testimony with their faithful service as missionaries. I miss them terribly. I really want to just wrap my arms around them and let them snuggle my baby and kiss my girls and help me prepare my Relief Society lesson. But now is not the time for that and that is okay because what they are doing is right and good and I love them for it.

Now a shout-out to my husband. He is occasionally infuriating and annoying like all good husbands but he is also so good to me. I am blessed to have found a man that can put up with me. He works hard for our family and provides for our needs. He lets me go out without the kids whenever I need to. He never utters a word of complaint when I do crazy things like have a boutique in our house for two days. He supports me in everything I do. And he is an awesome dad!

And lastly for today, I have to mention my stupendous friends. I have always been blessed with good friends in my life and the last few years have been no exception. In fact, I have remarked several times recently how lucky I was to live in my last ward because we had a collection of the most amazing women. I'm sure I will not run across a group like this again. We have cried, laughed and learned together. I have watched them go through gut-wrenching, heart-breaking experiences. I have learned from them as they have triumphed in their trials. I have been encouraged to be more thoughtful and more caring as they have served me and served each other. I have felt loved and accepted despite my shortcomings. My burdens have been lifted and sorrows eased in many ways by these wonderful women. My patriarchal blessing promises that I will have angels both seen and unseen to help me in this life and they are some of my earthly angels. I believe it was no accident that we all came together at this time in our lives and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father put these ladies in my life's path.

Until next time...

0 comments: