I was thinking to myself last night, "We've been really lucky this year and haven't had any scorpions in the house." My immediate next thought was, "Oh no. I've totally jinxed myself." Well, I did indeed jinx myself in the worst way. (Those of you who don't live in Arizona now have two reasons to be really glad you get to miss out on our summers.)
Today my girls were playing on the floor when Grace said, "Mom, there's a scorpion." She showed me where (crawling on the carpet about three feet from where her head had been) and I went to the bedroom to get one of Devon's shoes. Upon my return I found the scorpion and went to kill it when I realized that it did not look like most scorpions I have seen. It's back was white and bumpy. When I took a closer look I realized that it's back was covered with babies! I freaked!! I knew I couldn't smash it now for fear that the babies would scatter and being that they were the same color as my carpet they would never be found again until they were big enough to come out and get us while we slept.
I called Devon to see how soon he would be home from work and he was going to be a while so I called my neighbor and business partner Amy whose husband happens to be my home teacher. She graciously volunteered her husband to come get it for me. He sucked it up into my bag-less vacuum, dumped it outside and made sure it was good and dead. We couldn't really account for all the babies but he smashed the stuff that came out of the vacuum really well and I vacuumed the carpet after he left. I am so grateful that he was willing to come do what should have been a really simple task but left me frozen and shaking. My skin has been crawling for an hour.
After it was all over I was really mad that I hadn't taken a picture of our lovely house guest. But lucky for you I found a picture that looks exactly like the friend I had in my house today. Enjoy!
Friday, June 27, 2008
Warning--This Is Disgusting!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
Oh, that is so creepy. Thanks for freaking me out! My skin is crawling... I think you have had your share for the whole summer, and I hope you don't find the father anytime soon.
barf
oh that is so nasty. My skin is crawling now too. I HATE scorpions! I've heard of the babies on the back before - but luckliy I have never seen it. Kind of freaks me out that you're my nieghbor. We get our house sprayed and now I see them dead all the time. I can give you the number if you want.
Yeah, my skin is crawling too after just reading the post. I know all God's creatures have a purpose, but will someone PLEASE tell me what purpose scorpions serve?!?
Just looking at the picture gives me the heebie jeebies. That is nasty. I'm so grateful to not have to deal with gross creatures like scorpions. I'm still trying to figure out their purpose in the whole circle of life.
I hate to say it but I also agree with some of the previous posts- what purpose do they serve on this earth?! I also say that about wasps, yellow jackets, etc. I'm glad that no one got hurt!
Thanks for reminding me whay I don't live in Arizona! On the other hand, I have lived there before and I don't remember living in fear of the scorpions. Maybe I was just naive.
Post a Comment