Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer Adventures Part 3

We spent two fabulous weeks in Samoa with my parents. What an amazing opportunity to visit them on their mission. We were so excited to see them and when someone asks the girls what the best part about going to Samoa is the answer is always, "Seeing Gammy and Papa." I have so many fabulous pictures and stories that I will have to cover Samoa in several posts.

Getting to Samoa was not the easiest thing we've done. We left L.A. at 11:15 and the flight is 1o hours. That's a long time with a one-year-old. Luckily we sat on the bulkhead row and on the wall in front of us was a pull-down bassinet, similar to a changing table in a public restroom but with a mattress and sides. Right before we took off, the flight attendant told me I couldn't have my diaper bag for take-off because it didn't fit below the seat so she stowed it somewhere for me. Claire finished her bottle just as we were taking off. I sat her up to burp and she vomited everywhere. This was not just a little spit-up either; it was her entire bottle. So I stripped her down to her diaper, tried to wipe us up with the one burp rag we had and figured that would have to do until I could get my bag back. Five minutes later Claire pushed her head back and was out cold. So she slept in a diaper, which worked out just fine. She slept for 6-7 hours, which was about all we could ask for from her. She was amazing.

Claire's first airplane ride to L.A.

Looking a little haggard but happy to be seconds away from seeing Gammy and Papa.

Here's what we did on our first day in Samoa:

Learned how to open a coconut.


Went to the market with Papa. They have the most delicious miniature bananas called misi luki. They stay sweet and delicious for days.


Enjoyed the view from the backyard.

Napped.


Went to the beach.


Snorkeled.




Ate dinner in the ocean (just Claire).


Made some new friends.
Had a grand time all day and crashed into our beds about 7:30.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

The picture of jenna sleeping is hilarious. i know exactly how she feels!! i hope you have more pictures coming

Kristina said...

That was just day one! Wow, how beautiful and so much fun. Your girls will remember that trip forever.

Greg and Tammy said...

WOW!!! Can't wait to see more pics of Samoa! What an incredible trip and so fun to see your parents.

sarah&brett said...

I love Jenna's shirt! Someone really cool must have helped her make it! :)